HALOS is the Proud Recipient of the 2011 Erin Hardwick Award for Excellence in Nonprofit Management from the South Carolina Association of Nonprofit Organizations
Every day, children across South Carolina suffer from abuse and neglect. In 2004, 17 cases on average were confirmed each day in the state. And in Charleston County alone, more than 1,800 children have open cases of abuse or neglect with the Department of Social Services.
At HALOS (Helping And Lending Outreach Support), we provide assistance to abused and neglected children in Charleston County and to their caregivers. Through a variety of programs and initiatives, we help to improve the lives of these children.
However, HALOS is only as strong as our partners, and we need your help to succeed in our mission. With a single donation, you can change the life of a child.
HALOS works hand-in-hand with individuals, businesses, civic groups, clubs, and religious organizations in the Charleston area to help children and their caregivers. Through partnerships with generous individuals and groups, we connect interested parties with children who desperately need their help. Donors can sponsor children for summer camp, supply much-needed back-to-school items, and donate gifts to celebrate birthdays and Christmas. Donors can also provide essential household items to caregivers who need them to keep children out of foster care. And through the Kinship Care program, volunteers can donate their time and expertise to support those caregivers who provide a safety net for abused and neglected children.
Imagine the relief a little boy feels when he is able to stay with his grandparents instead of moving to a foster home. Or the joy a little girl feels after years of neglect when she goes to summer camp for the first time and has a safe place to stay during the summer.
Then imagine how you can make such a difference in the life of a child in your community.
HALOS WISH LIST
- New or Gently Used Twin Beds, Bunk Beds, Toddler Beds, and Cribs in good condition and assembled (we CANNOT accept cribs with drop-down sides or missing hardware)
- Diapers (Newborn through Size 5), Pull-Ups, and Baby Wipes
- New Car Seats
- Living/dining room furniture
- Household products (dishware, silverware, pots/pans, cleaning supplies, towels)
- Bedding (sheets/pillowcases, comforters, blankets, etc)
- Gift Cards to WalMart/Target for Birthdays and holidays
- Small items for teen gifts (jewelry, picture frames, wallets, caps, etc.)
- Monetary donations to send children to summer camp
- Unrestricted monetary donations
Volunteers for Kinship Care Resource & Support Program:
- Background-checked volunteers aged 16 and over to provide childcare at monthly support group meetings and respite events
- Volunteer groups to prepare food for adults and children at monthly support group meetings (average of 25 adults and 45 children per meeting)
There are some items that we cannot accept at HALOS. Please ask us where you can go to donate the following items that we do not accept here:
- Used car seats
- Clothing for children over 24 months of age
- Used toys
- Cribs that have drop-down sides